Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My First “Breaking the Fast” Party – Saturday 22 August 2009

Last Saturday was the first day of Ramadan and whilst Nias is predominantly Christian there are many Indonesians amongst our staff who will be fasting for the next month. Not sure what to expect I went along with the same approach to most social outings here, just wait and see. The party was no different to most I’ve been to, there was plenty of food, an old guy who spoke too much, a few embarrassed girls and plenty of shy guys etc etc. What struck me most was the conversation I had with a couple of the Muslims. Not surprisingly they are incredibly similar to most Christians (and I assume Jews but I can’t speak from experience on this one) with one striking difference. The consistency and depth to which they call on and test their own internal fortitude. Be it by not drinking or spending a month every year without food, water or cigarettes during daylight hours. Without question I have a new found respect for this and I have no doubt that many a moderate Muslim lives with a much deeper understanding of their own human spirit than many aethists/Christians I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment